International Cultural Management
Niveau der Lehrveranstaltung/des Moduls laut Lehrplan
second cycle, Master
Lernergebnisse der Lehrveranstaltung/des Moduls
Students have integrative knowledge of and the ability to interpret:
- The structure of the cultural activities and arts institutions including its key players (artists, curators, promoters, financiers, the audience) as well as organizational forms.
- The relationship of cultural studies to cultural management.
Alongside this exemplary knowledge, students gain insights into key questions connected to cultural management, such as positive and negative aspects of identity-formation and the concern for socially and ethnic equalized representation. Students are able to discuss the tasks of cultural organizations and cultural activities in an international context.
Voraussetzungen laut Lehrplan
The seminar focuses on the fundamental concepts and structures of cultural activities and arts organizations in an international context:
- Understanding cultural organizations by knowing their key stakeholders (sponsors, funding institutions, foundations, sales promoters, curators, artists) and basic tasks (museums, theaters, festivals, etc.)
- Non-profit organizations and institutions subject to public law: tasks and challenges exemplified by European and US-American cultural activities.
- International programs and cultural transfer: grades of international exchange, dominance of cultures, the different roles of artists in different cultures, ect.
- Cultural Representation, agency and ethnicity: the demand for cultural diversity following the approach of the cultural studies
- Ways of promoting and intermediating the arts.
Anheier, Helmut (2007): Conflicts and tensions, Sage Publications (Excerpts)
Anheier, Helmut. (2010): Cultural expression, creativity and innovation, Sage Publications (Excerpts)
ARTS COUNCIL (ed) (2014): Understanding the values and impacts of cultural experiences
Chong, Derrick (2010): Arts management. 2. ed., London: Routledge.
Hall, Stuart (ed.) (2010): Questions of cultural identity. Sage Publications (Excerpts)
Dragićević -Šešić, Milena (2005): Arts management in turbulent times. Amsterdam: European Cultural Foundation.
Lapierre, Laurent (2001): Leadership and arts management. In: International Journal of arts management, 3(3), 4-12.
Kolb, Bonita M. (2013): Marketing for cultural organizations. New strategies for attracting and engaging Audiences. London: Routledge.
Geertz, Clifford (1973): The interpretation of cultures. New York: Basic Books
Sachse, Uwe (2012): Internationalization and mode switching: performance, strategy and timing. Wiesbaden: Gabler. S. 11-93.
International Journal of Arts Management (Montreal)
Bewertungsmethoden und -kriterien
Anzahl der zugewiesenen ECTS-Credits
geplante Lehr- und Lernmethoden
integrated course, case studies, discussion, group work
Semester/Trimester, in dem die Lehrveranstaltung/das Modul angeboten wird
Name des/der Vortragenden
Prof. (FH) Dr. Sibylle Moser
1st year of study
empfohlene optionale Programmeinheiten
Kennzahl der Lehrveranstaltungen/des Moduls
Art der Lehrveranstaltung/des Moduls
compulsory (seminar degree)
Art der Lehrveranstaltung