Annual Financial Statement and Balance Sheet Analysis
level of course unit
first cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
• are familiar with the legal components of the annual financial statement under Austrian and German commercial law.
• are familiar with and understand the principles of accounting in accordance with the regulations.
• are familiar with and understand the system of accounting regarding both basis and amount and are able to apply selected accounting principles, proscriptions and options.
• are able to apply selected balance sheet structure provisions and balance sheet reporting provisions.
• are able to apply fundamentals of accounting and assess capital assets, stocks, debts, equity capital, reserves and liabilities as well as deferred income.
• are familiar with the types of profit and loss.
• are familiar with the elements of detailed annual financial statements (appendix and management report) as well as with the fundamentals of the disclosure and audit of annual financial statements.
• are familiar with fundamentals and selected characteristics of international accounting under IRFS.
• are familiar with the fundamentals of the annual financial statement analysis and are able to define and interpret selected key figures.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Part A: Preparation of the balance sheet and the profit and loss
Annual financial statements under commercial law (contents and differentiations), tasks and target groups of the annual financial statement, basic problems of balancing, principles of creative freedom in accounting, principles of proper accounting, assessment within the framework of the annual financial statement, special characteristics of accounting, structure and contents of the profit and loss, comparison of Austrian Commercial Code – German Commercial Code – IAS / IFRS.
Part B: Fundamentals of annual financial statement analysis
Fundamentals of financial statement analysis, connection with financial, investment and liquidity planning, targets and procedures when analyzing annual financial statements, analysis of financial position, financial analysis, liquidity analysis, performance analysis and profitability analysis, limits of annual financial statement analysis.
recommended or required reading
Egger, A; Samer, H.; Bertl, R. (2013): Der Jahresabschluss nach dem Unternehmensgesetzbuch, 14. Aufl., Wien: Linde
Baetge, J.; Kirsch, H.-J.; Thiele, S. (2012): Bilanzen. 12. Aufl., Köln: IDW.
Wagenhofer, A. (2013): Bilanzierung und Bilanzanalyse, 11. Aufl. Wien: Linde.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, group work, presentation and task discussion
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Dr. Mag. Thomas Hirschmann
year of study
1.year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery