Employment Law and Employment Contract Design
level of course unit
first cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
• are familiar with essential features, common ground and differences of German and Austrian employment law.
• are familiar with the differences and common ground of contract development and contract design and their resulting duties for employees and employers.
• are familiar with the essential provisions of dismissal protection legislation.
• are able to assess and reflect practical cases.
• are able to design job contracts.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Overview of different business forms (GmbH, OHG, KG, GesbR, EWIV, Genossenschaft, Stiftung), their advantages and disadvantages with regard to the employment contract design and employees’ rights: participation in decision-making, dismissal and protection against dismissal in comparison between Austria and Germany.
recommended or required reading
Ehmer, H. (2011): Grundzüge des kollektiven Arbeitsrechts
Lang, C. (2008): Arbeitsrechtliche Unterschiede zwischen Deutschland und Österreich
Marhold, F./ Friedrich, M. (2011): Österreichisches Arbeitsrecht.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, group work, presentation and task discussion
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Mag. Mustafa Tuncer
year of study
1.year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery