Managing Family Businesses
level of course unit
first cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
• are familiar with the phases of the succession process, especially with regard to family businesses.
• understand the specific problems and solution approaches of family business management and family business succession.
• are familiar with legal, management-oriented and social psychological questions and solution approaches.
• are able to recognize important factors of successful succession processes in family businesses and apply the relevant implementation concepts.
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Meaning and definition of family businesses
• Strengths and weaknesses of family businesses
• Dynamics between families and businesses
• Positioning and strategy; management behavior in family businesses
• Selected real-life examples and reflection
recommended or required reading
Hannes, F./ Kuhn, T./ Brückmann, M. (2008): Familienunternehmen: Recht, Steuern, Beratung
Mätzener, M./ Schwarz, G. (2008): Erfolgreiche Betriebsübernahme in Familienunternehmen
Habig, H./ Berninghaus, J. (2008): Die Nachfolge in Familienunternehmen ganzheitlich regeln
Weishaupt, M. (2015): Radikal anders. Die DNA erfolgreicher Familienunternehmen
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, group work, presentation and task discussion
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Dott. Markus Weishaupt
year of study
2.year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery