Machine Elements 2
level of course unit
First cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
Students are able to:
• know how axes and shafts are structured and function, dimension them and use them in rolling bearings and plain bearings.
• know, select and dimension the structure and functions of rolling bearings and of hydrodynamic plain bearings.
• know, select and dimension the structure and function of different sealing elements.
• know, select and dimension the structure and functioning of elastic springs.
• know, select and dimension the structure and functioning of couplings and brakes.
• know, select and dimension the structure and functioning of belt drives.
• know, select and dimension the structure and functioning of gear trains.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Elements to support and carry machine components and to make torque transmission possible:
• Functions and design rules as well as calculation bases of axes and shafts
• Design principles as well as calculation bases of hydrodynamic plain bearings
• Types of bearing, application areas, storage concepts and calculation bases of rolling bearings
Elements to seal machine components
• Types of springs, design rules and calculation bases for springs
Couplings and brake:
• Structure, functions, functioning and calculation bases of a selection of couplings and brakes.
• Design principles and calculation bases of flat belt drives and V-belt drives as well as of toothed belt drives
• Types of gears and structure, gear tooth system requirements, design fundamentals and calculation bases of straight-cut gears, skew gears, bevel gears and helical gears.
recommended or required reading
• Wittel, et al. (2009): Roloff/Matek Maschinenelemente: Normung, Berechnung, Gestaltung, 19. Aufl., Vieweg+Teubner Verlag Wiesbaden
• Frischherz (1987): Tabellenbuch für Metalltechnik, Bohmann Fachbuch im Verlag Jugend & Volk Wiener Neudorf
• Raich (2005): Metalltechnik / Konstruktionsgrundlagen für Metalltechnik, Jugend & Volk Verlag Wiener Neudorf
• Künne (2007): Köhler/Rögnitz Maschinenteile 1 und 2, 10. Aufl., Vieweg+Teubner Verlag Wiesbaden
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Director of Studies
year of study
First year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery