Technical Drawing / CAX
level of course unit
First cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
Students are able to:
• read standard workpiece drawings as well as to correctly interpret presentation details and dimensioning details.
• manually draw fundamental workpiece drawings of simple bodies.
• take pieces of information from data manuals on their own and apply them to their own drawings.
• independently present manufacture-ready machine elements while taking into consideration valid norms.
• use 2D presentations of different machine components to create 3D models.
• configurate a functional assembly out of self-assembled components as well as from standard parts libraries.
• apply 3D CAD software in a way that makes it possible to implement entire construction projects.
• produce 2D drawings that meet valid norms of manufacture.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Fundamentals of technical communication:
• Creation of workpiece drawings with standard view structure, cutaway drawings, dimensioning, details about surfaces, tolerances and workpieces
• Creation of parts lists and interpretation of exploded view drawings
Standard presentation of fundamental machine elements:
• Presentation of threads, countersinks
• Presentation of screw joints, bolt joints and pin joints
• Presentation of shaft-hub connections, bearings, gearwheels
• Fuctional structure of menu bars
• Sketch mode, dimensioning and connections
• Volume features, such as rotation, extrusion, extraction
• Patterns, chamfers, curves, boundaries, etc.
• Assembly construction, connections
• Inclusion of local standard parts libraries and parts from online catalogues
• Hands-on practical examples of work
• Standard drawings
recommended or required reading
• Dobler, et al. (2007): Fachkunde Metall, 55. Aufl., Europa Lehrmittelverlag Haan
• Frischherz (1987): Tabellenbuch für Metalltechnik, Bohmann Fachbuch im Verlag Jugend & Volk Wiener Neudorf
assessment methods and criteria
Assignment, written exam
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Director of Studies
year of study
First year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery