Technical Drawing / CAX
level of course unit
First cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students are able to:
• Read standard-compliant workpiece drawings and correctly interpret display and dimension details.
• Create basic part drawings of simple bodies manually.
• Independently extract information from table books and apply it to their own drawing representations.
• Independently present machine elements in accordance with the applicable standards.
• Model 3D models based on 2D representations of different machine components.
• Configure a functional assembly from self-constructed components and parts from standard parts libraries.
• Use 3D CAD software in such a way that they can carry out complete design projects.
• Generate production-ready 2D drawing derivations.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Fundamentals of technical communication:
• Preparation of workpiece drawings with standard-compliant view arrangement, cuts, dimensions, surface and tolerance specifications, workpiece details
• Creation of parts lists and interpretation of exploded drawings
• Standard-compliant representation of basic machine elements:
• Representation of threads, countersinks
• Representation of screw, bolt and pin connections
• Representation of shaft-hub connections, bearings, gear wheels
• Function structure of the menu bars
• Sketch mode, dimensions and relationships
• Volume features such as rotation, extrusion, discharging
• Patterns, chamfers, curves, walls etc.
• Assembly design, links
• Integration of local standard parts libraries and parts from online catalogs
• Hands-on practical examples
• Standard-compliant drawing derivations
recommended or required reading
• Dobler, et al. (2007): Fachkunde Metall, 55. Aufl., Europa Lehrmittelverlag Haan
• Frischherz (1987): Tabellenbuch für Metalltechnik, Bohmann Fachbuch im Verlag Jugend & Volk Wiener Neudorf
assessment methods and criteria
Assignment, written exam
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Director of Studies
year of study
First year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery