level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
• Students know about the potentials and risks of Social Media as a media channel and are able to integrate it in a corporate communications strategy.
• They know certain factors of success and are able to plan and create own content and push it to a certain viral distribution.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Students should be familiar with different hard- and software to create and distribute Social Media Content.
• We are going to discuss the phenomenon of different content (video, gif, photo, text) that went viral.
• By analysing several cases we will create a framework of factors which tend to be critical in those cases.
• In a next step small working groups create their own content and try to push it to a certain viral distribution.
recommended or required reading
• Berger, Jonah (latest Ed.): Contagious: Why Things Catch On. Simon & Schuster: New York
• Cundell, Paul (latest ed.): Viral Marketing Made Easy 2018: Skyrocket Sales and Profits Instantly with these proven Viral Marketing Techniques. Independently published
• Scott, David M. (latest Ed.): The New Rules of Marketing and PR. John Wiley & Sons: New Jersey
• Tusche, Cathrin (latest Ed.): Viral Marketing. The Open Web Learning Institute: Nuremberg
assessment methods and criteria
Working on a practical project, presentation of outcomes and written reflection of the whole process
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Presentation, discussion, group work
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Dr. Peter Dietrich
year of study
1. year of studies
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery