Festival Management (E) (WP)
level of course unit
first cycle, Master
Learning outcomes of course unit
- get to know the development of festivals as a format of cultural production and encounter.
- understand and reflect the global structure of the festival world, meaning of place and changes through digitalization.
- meet the central challenges for management, budgeting and programs of art education.
- reflect on business and artistic environments.
- are able to draft the meaning and impacts of festivals for destination management, cultural tourism and cultural production.
- develop intercultural competences and sense of responsibility.
prerequisites and co-requisites
- Definition and development of festivals
- Tasks & potentials of art festivals
- Global networks and international exchange
- Festival tourism and sustainability
- Festival management
- Current issues
recommended or required reading
Newbold, C. & Jordan, J. (ed) (2016). Focus on World Festivals, Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers
Filipovic, E. et al (ed.) (2010). The biennial reader, Bergen: Hatje Cantz Verlag
Picard, D. & Robinson, M. (2006). Festivals, Tourism and change: Remaking Worlds,
Duffy, M. & Mair, J. (2018). Festival Encounters. Theoretical Perspectives on festival events.
Valck, M. et al (ed) (2016). Film Festivals: History, Theory, Method, Practice.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Verena Teissl; Mag. Elisabeth Mayerhofer, MBA
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery