Modern software architecture
level of course unit
second cycle, Master
Learning outcomes of course unit
The following learning outcomes are developed in the course:
- Students know factors that influence the architecture of a software and can explain them.
- Students can describe the central role software architecture plays in the development process.
- Students can apply familiar architectural patterns when creating software architecture.
- Students are familiar with modern software architectures.
- Students are able to describe aspects of software systems and to provide solutions for them.
- Students can document software architectures with current description methods.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Students bring the following requirements to the course:
- Students understand software engineering and object-oriented software development.
Advanced topics in the field of software architecture are taught in this course. This includes the following focal points:
- Role of software architecture in the software development process
- Design of software architectures
- Architectural patterns and architectural aspects, such as internationalization
- Use of modern software architectures
- Documentation of software architectures using UML
recommended or required reading
- Bass, Len et al.: Software Architecture in Practice, Third Edition, SEI Series in Software Engineeering, Addison –Wesley (2012)
- Starke, Gernot: Effektive Softwarearchitekturen: Ein praktischer Leitfaden, Carl Hanser Verlag, 8. Auflage (2020)
- Zörner, Stefan: Softwarearchitekturen dokumentieren und kommunizieren: Entwürfe, Entscheidungen und Lösungen nachvollziehbar und wirkungsvoll festhalten, Carl Hanser Verlag, 2. Auflage (2015)
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, quiz and discussion of solutions of tasks
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. Dr. Georg Hagel
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery