Innovation Management & Design Thinking
level of course unit
1.Semester Master: 1st Study cycle
Learning outcomes of course unit
• are able to recognize the dynamics of change in the market, in products or services and in technologies
• are able to develop a scenario of change or transformation
• understand the innovation process in a company and can apply it in the company
• know the critical factors in innovation management and can solve them accordingly
• are able to use a wide variety of tools and techniques to implement the process of idea generation in the company
prerequisites and co-requisites
1. Semester: no information
• Definition of innovation and types of innovation
• Integrated process model for innovation and product management
• The innovation dilemma
• Critical factors of innovation success
• Idea management, creativity and open innovation
• Systematic product concept development (market and competitor analysis, concept definition, concept evaluation, quality function deployment)
• New product development (Ansoff matrix of growth, the V-model, reasons for misdevelopment, agile new product development)
• Idea development (strategy development, infrastructure, copycats)
• Tools and techniques of idea generation (competence analysis, scenario technique, search field analysis, creativity techniques, expert interviews, scoring model, profitability analysis)
• Business plan creation
recommended or required reading
Gochermann, J. (2020) Technologiemanagement: Technologien erkennen, bewerten und erfolgreich einsetzen, Wiesbaden.
Kreutzer, R. T., Neugebauer, T. & Pattloch, A. (2017) Digital Business Leadership: Digitale Transformation - Geschäftsmodell-Innovation - agile Organisation - Change-Management, Wiesbaden.
Müller, A., Graumann, M. & Weiß, H.-J. (Hrsg.) (2020) Innovationen für eine digitale Wirtschaft: Wie Unternehmen den Wandel meistern, Wiesbaden.
Schallmo, D. & Lang, K. (2020) Design Thinking erfolgreiche anwenden: So entwickeln Sie in 7 Phasen kundenorientierte Produkte und Dienstleistungen, Wiesbaden.
assessment methods and criteria
• Module exam (Innovation Management & Design Thinking, Modern Project Management)
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course, which is mostly dialog-oriented, usually consists of the triad of practical relevance, academic structuring, and the independent development of integrative case studies from immediate professional and consulting practice.
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Director of studies
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery