Supply Chain Management (E)
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
• Know the basic procedures and methods of the resource management process in the areas of procurement, production and logistics.
• Know how to structure and optimize the supply chain.
• Know the individual processes in procurement, production, storage and logistics.
• Understand the importance of supply chain management for business success.
• Can calculate and interpret relevant key figures from supply chain management and evaluate their results.
• Understand the impact and opportunities of industry 4.0 and digitization on supply chain management.
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Introduction to BWL
• Introduction to accounting
• Annual accounts & analysis
Part A.) Fundamentals:
• Definition and historical development of supply chain management
• Differentiation of supply chain management from related concepts (e.g. value chain, logistics chain, customer relationship management, etc.)
• Structuring, tasks and goals of supply chain management
• Motives for the emergence of supply chains (Maverick buying, transaction costs, bullwhip effect, globalization)
• Material flow analysis in supply chains
• Design models for supply chain management
Part B.) Strategies of supply chain management
• Vertical and horizontal cooperation strategies
• Supply strategies (e.g. efficient consumer response, CRM and mass customization, postponement, sourcing strategies, procurement strategies, e-supply chains)
• Disposal and recycling strategies
Part C.) Instruments of supply chain management:
• Instruments for stock reduction (e.g. decomposition of stocks, marketability analysis, etc.)
recommended or required reading
Arndt, H. (2017). Supply Chain Management: Optimierung logistischer Prozesse. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
Kurbel, K. (2016). Enterprise Resource Planning und Supply Chain Management in der Industrie: Von MRP bis Industrie 4.0. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
Voß, P. H. (2015) (Hrsg.). Logistik – eine Industrie die (sich) bewegt: Strategien und Lösungen entlang der Supply Chain 4.0. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
van Weele, A. J., & Eßig, M. (2017). Strategische Beschaffung: Grundlagen, Planung und Umsetzung eines integrierten Supply Management. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
Werner, H. (2017). Supply Chain Management: Grundlagen, Strategien, Instrumente und Controlling. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
assessment methods and criteria
• Seminar paper and
• Final presentation
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
• 25 % of the event is covered by eLearning. A combination between online phases (inductive method for the independent acquisition of knowledge and the practice of tasks) and presence phases (deductive method, in which assistance is given in the learning process and knowledge is imparted via frontal lectures) is used.
• Selected case studies are worked on in groups, presented and discussed in plenary sessions.
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
English version will be available soon
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery