Market Research (E)
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
• Know different qualitative and quantitative methods of market research.
• Can develop market research concepts and apply the necessary instruments.
• Know qualitative and quantitative analysis methods.
• Can prepare a final report on a market research project.
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Marketing (E)
• Methods of Empirical Social Research
Part A: Fundamentals of market research
• Definition and goals of market research and differentiation from opinion research
• Phases of market research
• Methods of market research (secondary market research, primary market research)
• Process steps within a market research project
Part B: Methods & procedures of market research
• Market research methods (structural analyses, measurement of use and distribution, demand and consumption analyses, image analyses, measurement of attitudes, intentions and behavioral parameters)
• Analysis methods (univariate methods [frequency counts, frequency distribution], bivariate methods [cross tables, correlation, simple regression analysis])
• Market research methods (survey and analysis of demographics, social structures, purchasing power, education, family structures; surveys; image analyses; focus groups; biometric test and measurement methods; experimental product tests; behavioral observations and analyses)
recommended or required reading
Harrison, M., Cupman, J., Truman, O., & Hague, P. N. (2016). Market research in practice: An introduction to gaining greater market insight. London: Kogan Page.
Keller, B., Klein, H.-W., & Wirth, T. (2018). Qualität und Data Science in der Marktforschung: Prozesse, Daten und Modelle der Zukunft. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
Kuß, A., Wildner, R., & Kreis, H. (2018). Marktforschung: Datenerhebung und Datenanalyse. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
Mcquarrie, E. F. (2016). The market research toolbox: A concise guide for beginners. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Steffen, A., & Doppler, S. (2019). Einführung in die Qualitative Marktforschung: Design – Datengewinnung – Datenauswertung. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
assessment methods and criteria
• Seminar paper and
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
25 % of the event is covered by eLearning. A combination between online phases (inductive method for the independent acquisition of knowledge and the practice of tasks) and presence phases (deductive method, in which assistance is given in the learning process and knowledge is imparted via frontal lectures) is used.
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Kristina Kampfer
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery