Market & Customer Analysis
level of course unit
2. Study cycle, Master
Learning outcomes of course unit
• can apply the most common strategic analysis tools for customers and markets from a marketing perspective to business cases.
• can interpret operational customer information from the CRM system ("big data").
• can integrate the knowledge gained into business and marketing plans.
• understand the relevance and importance of market research as a source of valuable data for strategic analysis.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Specialization in International Marketing Management course of the 1st semester
• Application of customer-oriented analysis tools (e.g. ABC analysis, target group analysis, satisfaction analysis, cus-tomer journey) based on case studies/practical examples
• Application of market-oriented analysis tools (e.g. BCG, McKinsey, 5-Forces, Ansoff) on the basis of case stud-ies/practical examples
• Terms and basics of CRM, basics of data analysis for CRM activities
• Techniques of estimating market and customer potential including plausibility checks
• Combining the above analysis tools with findings of conventional market research on customer needs and customer satisfaction
• Integration of the findings into business and marketing plans
recommended or required reading
• Cheverton, Peter: Key Marketing Skills: A Complete Action Kit of Strategies, Tools and Techniques for Marketing Success. Kogan Page (latest edition)
• Kumar, V; Reinartz, Werner: Customer Relationship Management. Springer (latest edition)
• McGrath, James; Bates, Bob: The little book of big management theories. Pearson (latest edition)
• 1-2 current journal articles (e.g. American Marketing Journal, Marketing Review St. Gallen)
assessment methods and criteria
Online tasks, term paper, presentation, exam
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Peter Dietrich
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery