level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
Graduates are able to:
- formulate research questions in an appropriate way.
- plan methods to answer research questions.
- research, evaluate and cite from specialist literature.
- carry out and complete a relatively short piece of academic writing of intermediate complexity.
prerequisites and co-requisites
This introduction to academic working methods principally aims to raise students’ awareness of characteristics, rules and essential features of the academic world and academic work. In this context the focus is placed on learning and understanding deductive and inductive methods and empirical procedures for the acquisition of knowledge.
Students receive instructions on how to write seminar theses on their own and in line with common standards of academic writing. This preparation includes both guidance on how to use literature as well as discussions on the issue of quality in academic papers, focusing in particular on intellectual honesty and intersubjective comprehensibility.
recommended or required reading
- Bänsch, Axel: Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten: Seminar- und Diplomarbeiten. - München [u.a.]: Oldenbourg, 2009
- Chalmers, Alan: Wege der Wissenschaft.- Berlin; Heidelberg: Springer, 2007
- Eco, Umberto: Wie man eine wissenschaftliche Abschlussarbeit schreibt.- UTB Facultas Universitätsverlag, 2010
- Karmasin, Matthias; Ribing, Rainer. Die Gestaltung wissenschaftlicher Arbeiten. 6. Auflage, facultas.wuv / UTB, Wien, 2011.
- Leopold-Wildburger, Ulrika; Schütze, Jörg. Verfassen und Vortragen: Wissenschaftliche Arbeiten und Vorträge leicht gemacht. Springer, Berlin et al., 2002
assessment methods and criteria
Academic homework assignment
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture with discussion and examples
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Mario Döller
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery