Process automation (elective)
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
- know the challenges of process automation.
- know how to select processes for automation.
- know the procedure and factors for successful process automation.
- know how to create process automations in selected software.
- know interfaces to ERP and CRM systems.
- know the procedures of interprocess communication and can implement them.
- know the basic structure of cloud-based IT applications for process automation in the operational environment using the example of Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- know basic and advanced functionalities of process automation under Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- can implement UIs for process automation based on browser and apps using Microsoft technologies.
prerequisites and co-requisites
- Basic terms: Business process, workflow, BPMS, WFMS, RPA, etc.
- Selection criteria for workflow engines for process automation
- Architecture and integration of workflows for process automation
- Overview of interprocess communication
- Transactional properties of processes, simulation and code generation
- Basics of Microsoft Dynamics 365: Modules and navigation, basic entities and standard workflows
- Organizational and technical implementation with configuration and declarative programming
recommended or required reading
* Rich M., Weber B.: Enabling Flexibility in Process-aware Information Systems, Springer 2012, chapters 2-4
* Quarre, F.: Robotic Process Automation, O'Reilly, 2019
* Critchley, S.; Dynamics 365 CE Essentials: Administering and Configuring Solutions, Apress; 2018
* Yapa, S.; Customizing Dynamics 365: Implementing and Releasing Business Solutions, Apress; 2019
* Salatino, M., Aliverti, E.: jBPM 6 Developer Guide; Packt Publishing, 2014
* Allweyer, Thomas: BPMN 2.0 - Business Process Model and Notation: Einführung in den Standard für die Geschäftsprozessmodellierung.- Books on Demand, 2015
assessment methods and criteria
Written exam or seminar thesis
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, discussions, practical examples, PC exercises
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Dr. Richard Mayr
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery