Operational Management of Web-based Systems
level of course unit
second cycle, Master
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students will acquire in-depth knowledge of the operational design and control possibilities of an IT organization and in designing web-based systems. In this context the students will become conversant with the details of IT management areas such as personnel deployment planning, quality management, portfolio management, IT strategy management, IT governance and compliance concepts, etc.
prerequisites and co-requisites
In this integrated course, instruction will be given in basic aspects of the operational management of IT systems.
Emphasis is placed on the following:
- personnel deployment planning and resource management
- contract management and finance management (cost and activity accounting)
- quality management and quality assurance (reviews, audits, etc.)
- staff information and communication; IT strategy and IT portfolio management;
- risk management; IT governance and compliance
- ITIL, CoBIT
- service level agreements and outsourcing
- balanced score card methodology
- IT management tools (ADOit, etc.)
recommended or required reading
- Thomas Söbbing, Axel Funk, Wolfgang Fritzemeyer, Holger Heinbuch, Sandra Neuhaus, Robert Niedermeier, Joachim Schrey: Handbuch IT-Outsourcing: Recht, Strategie, Prozesse, IT, Steuern samt Business Process Outsourcing (Recht in der Praxis), C.F. Müller, 3.Auflage, 2006.
- Ernst Tiemeyer: Handbuch IT-Management. Konzepte, Methoden, Lösungen und Arbeitshilfen für die Praxis. Hanser Fachbuch; 2009.
- Wolfgang Johannsen, Matthias Goeken: Referenzmodelle für IT-Governance. Strategische Effektivität und Effizienz mit COBIT, ITIL & Co, Dpunkt Verlag, 2007.
- Olaf Resch: Einführung in das IT-Management: Grundlagen, Umsetzung, Best Practice, Erich Schmidt Verlag, 2009.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, group work, presentation and task discussion
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
compulsory (integrated lecture)
mode of delivery