Niveau der Lehrveranstaltung/des Moduls laut Lehrplan
Lernergebnisse der Lehrveranstaltung/des Moduls
Students should be able to:
1. Communicate their ideas and opinions in an accurate, concise and logical manner.
2. Present reasoned explanations for phenomena, patterns and relationships.
3. Understand the implications of, and draw inferences from data (market, referrals, feedback, social media…) and evidence.
4. Discuss and evaluate choices, and make reasoned decisions and recommendations.
5. Draw relevant conclusions by a reasoned consideration of evidence.
Voraussetzungen laut Lehrplan
Accredited students of University of Applied Sciences of Kufstein and International Program
The course reflects mainly on the following themes in travel, tourism and marketing:
(1) Understand and explain the structure of the travel and tourism industry
+ Definitions of the industry such as travel, travel services, tourism services, tourist classifications (day tripper, city hopper, length of stay, leisure, sports, alpine or business and other purposes)
+ Awareness of the roles of tourist boards, travel agents, accommodation providers, tourist attractions, entertainment venues.
(2) Investigate the social, cultural, economic and environmental impact of travel and tourism
+ Types of tourism impact (economic, environmental and social/cultural issues)
+ Economic impacts, environmental impacts, social and cultural impacts
(3) Identify and describe the features which attract tourists to a particular destination
+ Features of location
+ Reasons why certain tourists might be attracted to a location
+ Influence of features on the opportunities and constraints for the development of tourism, for example mountains and hills, coasts and inland waterways, trekking, bike tourism, skiing.
(4) Explore the presentation and promotion of tourist facilities
+ Range of promotional methods and their use identified
+ Inter-relationship between travel and transport, catering and local food experiences, accommodation, attractions, leisure, recreation or business facilities
(5) Describe support facilities for travel and tourism
+ Concept of infrastructure – features of the built environment
+ Type and range of accommodation available
+ Local public transport provision
(6) Role and function of marketing and promotion
+ Identify and explain why marketing and promotion are important to travel and tourism
+ Describe the main marketing and promotion techniques used in travel and tourism
+ Identify the different market segments targeted by travel and tourism
(7) Role and function of the marketing-mix in the tourism industry
+ Identify and explain the differences between travel and tourism products and services
+ Investigate the factors that influence the selection of a location for travel and tourism facilities
+ Explore the main methods of promotion used in the travel and tourism industry
+ Identify and explore the factors that are considered when producing effective promotional materials (promotional campaign, brand identity, brand image, AIDA, ASIDAS...)
+ Basic principles of marketing and promotion
(1) Wirtz et al. (2016), Services Marketing. World Scientific Pub.
(2) Morrison (2018), Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations. Taylor & Francis Ltd.
(3) Kotler etal. (2018), Marketing for hospitality and tourism. Pearson.
Bewertungsmethoden und -kriterien
Written exam (60% of total marks), paper (group work investigation on a single topic in the tourism industry, max 5 standard A4 pages; 40% of total marks)
Anzahl der zugewiesenen ECTS-Credits
eLearning Anteil in Prozent
geplante Lehr- und Lernmethoden
Lectures, guest lectures, group work, case studies
Semester/Trimester, in dem die Lehrveranstaltung/das Modul angeboten wird
Name des/der Vortragenden
Dr. Markus Holzweber
Kennzahl der Lehrveranstaltungen/des Moduls
Art der Lehrveranstaltung/des Moduls
Art der Lehrveranstaltung