Introduction to Law
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
• know the general civil law and general private law aspects of entrepreneurial activity.
• understand basic legal principles, which are frequently conveyed through concrete examples of problem cases in legal practice.
• are able to classify the legal problems regularly occurring in business practice in general private and civil law.
• understand the legal organization of companies, the contract law of merchants and the alternatives under company law, in particular when setting up a company.
• are able to classify the areas of law presented and master their basic contents.
• are familiar with relevant cross-sectional areas of law that are related to digitization.
prerequisites and co-requisites
Part A: Fundamentals of Civil Law
• Distinction between private law and public law
• Doctrine of title and mode
• Fundamentals of property law (incl. possession, holding & ownership)
• The natural person (legal capacity and capacity to act)
• The legal person
• Personal rights
• The legal transaction & the conclusion of the contract
• General contract law
• Representation & power of attorney
• Basics of consumer protection law
Part B: Corporate and Insolvency Law
• Legal forms of companies (partnerships, corporations, mixed forms)
• Basics of insolvency law
Part C: Law & Digitalization:
• Basic Data Protection Regulation & Telecommunications Law
• E-commerce and e-government / electronic signature
• IT law
recommended or required reading
• Aigner, T., Herda, H., Riedler, A., & Wolkerstorfer, T. (2023). Privates Wirtschaftsrecht. Wien: LexisNexis ARC ORAC.
• Artmann, E., & Rüffler, F. (2020). Gesellschaftsrecht. München: Manz Verlag.
• Jahnel, D., Mader, P., & Staudegger, E. (2020). IT-Recht. Wien: Verlag Österreich.
• Raschauer, B., Ennöckl, D., Raschauer, N. (2021). Grundriss des österreichischen Wirtschaftsrechts. Wien: Manz Verlag.
• Jahnel, D., & Pallwein-Prettner, A. (2021). Datenschutrecht. Wien: facultas.
• Pittel, R., Ganner, M., Laimer, S., & Markl, C. (2022). Einführung in das Privat- und Wirtschaftsrecht - Teil 1: Privatrecht. München: Verlag Österreich.
• Zankl, W. (2021). Rechtshandbuch der Digitalisierung. München: Manz Verlag.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
• 25 % of the event is covered by eLearning. A combination between online phases (inductive method for the independent acquisition of knowledge and the practice of tasks) and presence phases (deductive method, in which assistance is given in the learning process and knowledge is imparted via frontal lectures) is used.
• Solution of case studies by means of group work
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery